Friday, December 21, 2007

Just a cup of water in His Name …

This past summer, I was about to go to the grocery store and a thought popped into my head that I should take a bottle of water with me. So I grabbed an Arrowhead out of the frig and put it in my car as I headed out.

As I approached the shopping plaza, I saw a homeless woman standing at the entrance. The sign she held read, “disabled and without work, please help!” I grabbed a pocket testament and floundered through my purse for some cash, but there wasn’t any! I was really bummed because I thought for sure I had some money in there.

Just then a thought popped into my head … it’s so hot today, I should just give her my water. So as I pulled up near her, I rolled down my window and leaned out. I said, “I’m so sorry, I have no money on me today, but I want to give you some water and want you to know that I will pray for you!”

As I handed her the water bottle and pocket testament, a big smile appeared on her face and she said something that completely touched my heart … “Oh thank you, honey! I was just praying to the Lord for some water and He heard my prayer! God bless you!”

The cars behind me were losing patience and I had to pull away. My eyes filled with tears and I couldn’t stop thinking about her and praising God for allowing me to be the instrument He used to answer her prayer.

Fast forward to December … I was talking about this experience with a co-worker and how it was such a blessing to be an instrument of the Lord’s. A few hours later, I left work to pick up my boys. For some reason, they begged me for ice cream the whole drive home, even though it’s 50 degrees outside … please, please, please … I caved and instead of going to our usual soft-serve place, I headed in the opposite direction to go get the real thing. And guess who I saw at the entrance of the Baskin Robbins shopping plaza, it was her again.

As I stopped next to her and before I could even say more than a hi, she said, “I know you ...” I was almost speechless since so much time had passed since our first encounter. She told me her name, Dottie, and we talked very briefly.

Later, while the boys and I ate our ice creams, we talked about Dottie and prayed for her. Then, we popped into the grocery store next door to get Dottie a gift certificate. When we drove back over to her, we wished her a very Merry Christmas and let her know that we would continue to pray for her!

Now, if you’re thinking, how nice that you all could be such a blessing to her, I want to tell you something … that sweet little Dottie has blessed me and the boys more than we could ever bless her! She has taught us how much the Lord loves – how He will meet the needs of those who seek His face!

What an incredible gift from God to experience the blessing of giving to others in the name of our blessed Savior Jesus Christ! Praise be to God for His love, mercy and grace!

2 comments:

Jennifer Gray said...

Kelly - this is such a GREAT story! I have SO often wondered what I can do for people I see in need that I do not know. I was just talking to Shan's Grandma about it and feeling so bad. Thank you tons for this story and encouragement. I'm looking forward to my own opportunity to give a cup of water in His name. :)

Shannon said...

Oh, Kelly! I am crying as I read this. What a special encounter God allowed you to have with this woman on not one, but two occassions! Thanks for reminding me to be obedient when I hear the Holy Spirit urge me to do simple things like put a bottle of water in my car!